During the global pandemic I’ve been looking for new and exciting ways to play Marvel Champions and I’ve come up with a fun challenge for myself. I’m calling it the “It’s Clobberin’ Time Challenge” and the goal is to stretch my deck-building and play with cards I have rarely used. The challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to play through all 6 currently release villains using each card no more than 3 times! You can play this on any game mode (Rookie, Standard, Expert, or even Heroic) So far I’ve managed it on Standard and am planning to attempt it again. Read the rest of this article to learn how you can take the “It’s Clobberin’ Time Challenge”.
Play through all current Marvel Champions content through Black Widow’s release using a static set of cards. Each non-unique card can be used up to 3 times in deck building – and each hero and unique card can only be used once. With 9 released heroes and 6 scenarios you’ll be playing 2/3rds of the heroes to complete this challenge!
Rules & Restriction Overview:
You’ll be playing through the missions in release order starting with Rhino and ending with the Wrecking Crew! Before each game craft a deck with a hero you have not yet won a game with. Then, add aspect and basic cards such that including your previous winning decks you do not exceed using a copy of a non-unique single card more than 3 times. Unique cards can only be used once, so only one deck can use Mockingbird and Nick Fury as a crutch. This also means universally useful cards like Energy, Genius, and Strength won’t be available in every match! You’ll have to choose when to use them wisely. There’s a spreadsheet you can use here to track this. You can save a copy of this to your google drive and use it yourself!
- When you win a check off the hero and additional cards used in the deck on the Challenge Tracker Tab
- Record losses as well but do not check off the boxes a card is only removed from your deck-building pool when used to win.
- As you progress through matches your cardpool for deckbuilding will shrink, so you’ll have to take risks in earlier matches to leave quality cards for harder matches later.
- If you’d like to do this challenge at multiplayer counters just create a tab for each player and you’ll still feel the shrinking cardpool stretch your decision making
- This first Challenge is with the recommended encounter sets but I plan to do more of these with different modules in the future.
- Fill out a play log so you know how many attempts it took to beat each mission.
- In the end score yourself based on the number of attempts.
|6||You are a true Avenger! Maybe you should play heroic mode.|
|7-8||So close just a few losses from complete victory!|
|9-11||Commendable, think of card hero combinations that you don’t always use|
|12+||Whew! That was a gauntlet. Try this difficulty again with different strategy upfront.|
Here’s the gauntlet you’ll need to face:
- Game 1:
- Villain: Rhino
- Modular Set: Bomb Scare
- Link to KennedyHawk’s first match
- Game 2:
- Villain: Klaw
- Modular Set: Masters of Evil
- Game 3:
- Villain: Ultron
- Modular Set: Under Attack
- Game 4:
- Villain: Green Goblin / Risky Business
- Modular Set: Goblin Gimmicks
- Game 5:
- Villain: Green Goblin / Mutagen Formula
- Modular Set: Goblin Gimmicks
- Game 6:
- Villain: Wrecking Crew
So, I challenge you to stretch your deck-building muscles! Which heroes don’t need to rely on basic resource? Which villain really requires the ramp from Avenger’s mansion – and which card do you almost never use? Can you find a home for them in this challenge. I’ll be recording games for this challenge over the next 2 weeks playing on standard with videos posted on YouTube. I hope you enjoy this challenge. We’ll have a thread pop up on our Facebook page soon so you can show us your Challenge logs when you complete or mid challenge if you are stuck at some point! I hope you find this challenge fun and exciting and look for more community challenges to come from Marvel Champions Monthly – A fan podcast!
Thanks for reading!